Welcome to the official webpage of Marquette Computational Social Science Lab directed by Dr. Shion Guha at Marquette University. We primarily work within the realm of human-centered data science, which uses computing technology to understand struggles and challenges of peoples' experiences with technology and digital spaces.
Our work cuts across multiple disciplinary lenses such as human-computer interaction, social computing, computational social science, AI ethics and ICT4D.
This website contains information about current lab members and research projects, awards, press and recent publications from lab members. You can also find our code, design and other research materials in our lab github repository.
- Katy Weathington successfully defended her thesis, "A Critical Study Of Geospatial Algorithm Use In Crime Analysis And Predictive Policing." She will be pursuing a PhD at CU Boulder's Department of Information Science.
- Dr. Shion Guha is a recipient of a APSA Research Partnerships on Critical Issues Grant to analyze water policy development in Kewaunee County, WI
- Devansh Saxena's paper, "A Human-Centered Review of the Algorithms used withinthe U.S. Child Welfare System" given an Honorable Mention for Best Paper by CHI 2020
- Md Romael Haque presented his research into algorithmic crime mapping to students from over 30 universities organized by the IEEE Bangladesh Section.
- Dr. Md Kamrul Hasan accepted a 2 year post doctorate position at Vanderbilt University's Biomedical Informatics department working with Dr. Martin Were.
- Dr. Shion Guha had a paper titled "All Users are (Not) Created Equal: Predictors Vary for Different Forms of Facebook Non/use" accepted to CSCW 2019, filling in gaps of existing knowledge about Facebook Non/Use.
- Md Romael Haque, Katherine Weathington, and Dr. Shion Guha had a poster, titled "Exploring the Impact of (Not) Changing Default Settings in Algorithmic Crime Mapping - A Case Study of Milwaukee, Wisconsin" accepted to CSCW 2019, visualizing potential demographic biases in crime data.
- Fayika Farhat Nova and Dr. Shion Guha had "Sharing of Public Harassment Experiences on Social Media In Bangladesh" accepted to CSCW 2019, examining how and why victims of online harassment in Bangladesh share their experience.
- Dr. Shion Guha awarded Way Klingler Young Scholar Award by Marquette University.
- Dr. Shion Guha receives 2 year, $175,000 NSF CRII grant to continue research on the financial, social, and ethical impact of algorithmic biases in the criminal justice system in Wisconsin.
- Dr. Shion Guha recieves Facebook Computational Social Science Methodology research award for Scaling Unstructured Human Insights to Improve Foster Care in Wisconsin.
- Fayika Farhat Nova had "Silenced Voices: Understanding Sexual Harassment on Anonymous Social Media Among Bangladeshi People accepted to CSCW 2018, showing a wide prevalence of sexual harassment on anonymous social networks in Bangladesh.
If you have any questions about our projects or lab members, please get in touch with Dr. Shion Guha at shion [dot] guha [at] marquette [dot] edu